Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

What would you do if your child asked you to lie for him?

Photo credit: ehow.com

What circumstance could possibly cause your child to want you to lie for him? Suppose your child sent you a text message asking for your help. The message said, “My friend is about to get in trouble for something that’s not his fault. If his mom calls can you just say…”
There was a little more to the text message that I received from my son. However there was still not enough information to help me understand what was happing. My initial reaction was, does he really think I am going to lie for him? I just replied to his text with, “…will talk when u get home.”

I later found out that the situation stemmed from a misunderstanding and my son’s friend did not “get in trouble.” Nor was my son asking me to lie for him, but sometimes test messages can get you in trouble.
So, what would you do if your child wanted you to lie to help a friend (and it wasn’t life threatening)? Would you sit your child down and give him a lesson in morals and integrity?

 

2 comments:

  1. Angela, it would depend on the circumstance. I don't recall having to flat out lie for one of my kids, but I have had to help "cover" one of their friends in a situation or two. The key here is "life threatening" as you have said, or is the child better off being "covered" or exposed? Good post. :)

    ReplyDelete