Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, November 9, 2012

The “Grammy” awards – What does it look like when kids bond with their grandma?

Spending time with Granny at a family reunion


I’m sure no one else has experienced this (wink, wink), but when my son visits with Granny or Grammy, he’s a totally different person. They have a special bond that connects them. As we parent through the Alphabet today, let’s explore the letter ‘b’ and that special “bond” between Grandma and grandchild.
When my mom gushes over my son, he softens. He greets her with a quiet wee baby voice,

“H-i-i- Granny.” She can get him to do a lot of things that he wouldn’t do at home. For this reason I think a Grammy Award should be established to recognize Grandma’s around the globe.

 Unlike the real Grammy that is presented for outstanding achievement in the music industry; this Grammy would recognize outstanding Grandmothers. When my son is with Granny, strange things begin to happen. I saw him rake leaves without any begging or prodding. He also helped her repair something that was broken.
 
The boys like spending time with Granny because they get to do things that they wouldn’t normally do at home. Eating out is at the top of their agenda and going shopping is next on the list. There’s no need to cringe or complain because this all a part of the bonding process.
 
My youngest son likes to spend time with Granny without his brother around. This gives him the opportunity to receive all of the attention. He becomes king of the TV remote control, eats all the snacks he wants and lounges around his castle without a care in the world.

 The toughest part of my sons bonding with Granny, is returning home. It’s like taking a trip to Disney World, then preparing for the trip home. He returns home excited and bearing gifts and recanting everything he did. He’s brought home a pair of the latest Nike socks for his brother or favorite candy for himself. Then it’s time to get back to a regular routine.

And the Grammy Award goes to…my mom. I don’t even try to top the experience the kid have with Granny. I embrace the fact that Granny time is a special time and I’m glad that they enjoy it. After all, I still have to fight my brother for my bonding time with Granny.

 
What does it look like when your child spends time with his grandparents?

No comments:

Post a Comment