Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, November 16, 2012

How Buttermilk biscuits helped with college planning


Photo credit: allrecipes.com


At times it can be difficult to get kids to sit and engage in a conversation. I think I just found the answer when it comes to getting teens to talk…serve food and they will come. Over a plate of buttermilk biscuits and warm syrup I was able to slip in a conversation about preparing for college with my son.

‘College Planning’ is our catch phrase this week as we navigate down corridors of parenting through the alphabet. I’ll borrow my mother’s famous last words and say, “always plan ahead.” I’ll go a step further and say, it’s never too early to plan for college.

My husband and I talked about saving for the kids’ college days when they were toddlers, but the time is now upon us. There is only a year and a half left to be sure things are set to fall in place. I feel like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz in her frightened state. Instead of Lions and Tigers and Bears, for me its college tours, scholarships, and fees, oh my! But I digress.

Back to the story…

As my son gulped down a glass of milk, I continued to talk to him. I related his college planning to a math lesson. 

“Do you remember the formula you learned years ago… A+B=C?” I asked.
He grunted.

“Well, here’s a story problem that you can plug into that formula. If ‘A’ equals good grades and ‘B’ equals high ACT/SAT scores, what do you think ‘C’ will equal?” I paused then gave him the answer. ‘C’ will equal $$ - Scholarship money. He got the point.

Switching from a math lesson to a research project, I gave my son a homework assignment. “Make a list of 10 colleges that you would like to attend and find out what their admission requirements are.”

A week has passed and I have received my sons list of colleges, but nothing else. It’s a work in progress. Perhaps next time I will serve Belgian Waffles (his favorite).

Have you started planning for college for your child? Do you have any tips to share?

2 comments:

  1. Great to start planning early. If you need my help let me know. If one of his choice is EMU

    ReplyDelete