Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What have you learned from past jobs?

Photo credit: mint.com

The younger me worked many jobs leading up to and through college. I believe there’s something to be learned with each experience. Here is a snapshot of my experience:
Photo credit: freep.com
In my very first job I worked as a police cadet. My group of about eight teens, was assigned to work at a senior citizen residence. We went to the grocery store with the residents and did errands for them. I learned to ride the city bus to work and how to manage money.


Photo credit: bridgespdx.com
The summer before starting college, I worked as a camp counselor at a camp for kids with disabilities. I discovered that kids with Downs Syndrome give great hugs. They taught me to laugh out loud and enjoy the moment.
 
 
Photo credit: worldofstock.com
At the end of summer camp, I worked as maintenance staff at the Michigan State Fair for two weeks (that was the duration of the fair). I was paired up with another girl and we monitored the trash in one of the buildings. On this job I learned to work with a partner and stay on task, even when no one was watching.


Photo credit: examiner.com

While working my first full time job, I moonlighted as a caterer’s assistant occasionally. I learned to make delicious stuffed mushrooms. One of my favorite and easy desserts to make was toasted coconuts sprinkled over vanilla ice cream.
Photo credit: susikochenundbacken.blogspot.com
 
What have you learned from work experiences over the years?

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting "odd" jobs, Angela. My first job (while still in high school) was at the state penitentiary. I learned to always bring a raincoat to work on a cloudy day. My next job (while in college) was writing parking tickets. I learned the same lesson as I did on the first job. :)

    ReplyDelete