Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, November 2, 2012

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Parenting Day

Photo credit: www.energytimes.com


In the picture book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Judith Viorst), the main character experienced a really rough day. Well, parenthood is no different. We experience rough days too. Join me today for parenting through the Alphabet, as we explore going from “Bad Day” to “Blessed Day” with the letter “B”.
The alarm clock screams signaling for you to arise and start your day. You turn the alarm completely off and sleep another 30 minutes. As you finally turn over and peek at the clock again, you jump from the bed and rush to wake up the kids.

You yell into one dark bedroom, “It’s time to get up, we’re running late.”

Once everyone is dressed and out the door, you begin your journey of dropping off kids.  It’s not long before you look at the gas gauge and realize that you should have filled your tank the night before. When you arrive at work you realize that you still have one of the kids field trip permission slip with you.

As the day continues along this pattern of mishaps it can cause one to wonder, “What is going on today?” On days like this I pause and ask myself, “Did I stop to pray today?” Since I can’t remember if I prayed, I stop right then and say a few words.

My grandmother used to say, “When you’re trying to do something good, you will experience road blocks.” As I live longer and begin to grow a little wiser, I also begin to understand what she meant. When you experience a roadblock or speed bump, take a different route.

How do you turn a stressed day into a blessed day? Find a way to still have joy in the midst of chaos and confusion. Listening to messages of encouragement or reading something inspirational can have a calming effect. Even a song can help to provide encouragement.

I have included a video of the song, Encourage Yourself by Donald Lawrence and The Tri-City Singers. Part of the lyrics say, “No matter how you feel, speak the word and you will be healed… encourage yourself.”
 
 
 
The next time you feel like you’re having a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Parenting Day-turn the tables. Do something to encourage yourself.

What do you do to get through a bad parenting day?

 

 

2 comments: