Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, August 27, 2018

Hot Mama – A matter of perspective

photo credit


“You look HOT,” the finely dressed young man said to me.  I studied my reflection in the full length mirror on the wall. I agreed with his observation. Only, he was not referring to my neatly coifed hairstyle, nor my glamorous outfit.

He was my twenty-one year-old son. And he was referring to the beads of sweat forming along my hairline and the glistening of my skin. My state of hotness was a hot flash on full blast. I glanced at my son and said, “Mirror, mirror, on the wall who’s the hottest of them all.”

My son chimed right in and said, “You are, my queen, by far, the hottest. Literally.”
I had menopause to thank for my unsolicited glow and ultimately my hotness. While at a birthday party for a friend, I learned that I wasn’t the only hot Mama. As I was talking to a friend, I could feel my skin beginning to warm. I felt like Firestorm, one of the super heros from the Fantastic Four.

I leaned in toward my friend and softly said, “I’m having a hot flash.”

A woman within earshot heard me and said, “It doesn’t go away. I’m 72 years old and I still have them.”

As if that wasn’t a blast of bad news, my friend said, “They say drinking coffee contributes to hot flashes, it’s the caffeine.”

“Well, I guess I’m destined to be a hot mama. I gave up drinking pop, now you’re saying I need to give up my coffee?” I’m not quite ready to give up coffee, instead I’ll invest in small hand held fans. I’ll leave a fan in various locations like my office, purse, and have a spare one as back up.

Are you feeling like a Hot Mama or know someone who is? Take it in stride, embrace your hotness. Be the bold and beautiful person that you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment