Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, August 24, 2018

Fun Friday – 5 Signs that football season is near



Do you know what season it is? Yes, it’s back to school season and for some of us sports moms, it’s back to sports. Sports season means everybody gears up. Your child pulls his gear out and you grab yours. Except…your gear may look a little different.

My son has graduated from high school football to college football. The difference now is that I travel a further distance. I pack music for the car ride, money for the toll booth, and a riding companion to keep me company for the four hour drive.

As we head into the world of college football, I want to reflect on the signs of football seasons past. Below is a blog post from a couple seasons ago. There may be information that you find helpful or simply entertaining.

The story….

It’s the second week of two-a-days. For my son this means two football practices a day for two weeks. For me this means adding to the grocery list, organizing drop-off/pick up at practice time and additional loads of laundry.

When my son is a part of a team…I am part of the team. He suits up, so do I.  My son puts on his girdle, I put on my girdle. We both head to the field wearing the school colors. It is officially high school football season.

Do you have a child who plays sports? What are indicators that the season is upon you? Below are 5 signs that high school football is near.

1.      You receive reminders about the deadline for sports physicals.
2.       You have to sell discount coupon cards.
3.      Your son shows you pictures of all the latest (expensive) cleats.
4.      You’re riding around with a stadium chair in the trunk of your car.
5.      You receive emails asking you to volunteer.

Once you have recognized the signs that your season is changing, you prepare accordingly. Just as you dress differently from fall to winter, you must also adjust your schedule from one sport or activity to the next for your child. For our household, this means Friday nights will revolve around football games.

It’s not all bad being a sports parent. It can be a time for socializing with other parents and building relationships. You just have to remember to watch the game too because your child will ask you, “Did you see my play?”

Is your child involved in activities outside of school? What are the indicators that it’s time to begin a new season or session?


No comments:

Post a Comment