Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, October 15, 2012

What does bravery mean to you? – Raising a child with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyper Activity Disorder)

Photo credit: newalbanychurch.com

I recently taught a Sunday school class of five and six year olds. The lesson was about Stephen and how he had to be brave when people didn’t believe what he tried to tell them. I asked the students, “Can you think of a time when you had to be brave?”
 
The students shared their stories with me:

·         “I was brave when I drank my mommy’s coffee, it was hot.”

·         “I had to go in the basement at home and the washing machine was on, it was loud.”

As these students showed, sometimes it’s the small things that seem like giants to us. I had to be brave when my son was diagnosed as having ADHD. October 14-20 has been designated at ADHD Awareness Week so I thought I would share a little of our story.
 
 
Photo courtesy: scribbletonic.com

While ADHD is not life threatening, there are daily challenges and struggles. If you have been around a person with ADHD you know it’s like the Energizer Bunny to the 10th power. Key terms that are used to describe a person with ADHD include- inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity. My son has experienced all of this.

The inattention comes in the form of being easily distracted and not completing tasks. When my son was younger, I would tell him, “Put your toys away and hang up your clothes.” Ten minutes later I would find him playing with the toys I’d asked him to put away and the clothes were still in the same spot.

My son was in second grade when the issue came up that he might be ADHD. He was getting in trouble at school for moving around the room at inappropriate times or rushing to do something, but knocking something else over. Hence, the display of hyperactivity. I was called into the principals’ office.

The principal wanted to set up a meeting with me and my son’s teacher to determine a plan of action. When the meeting day arrived I walked into the office “boardroom” and was greeted by a room full of people. At least in my eyes it was a room full of people. There was the principal, the teacher, the speech therapist, the school psychologist and me.

I was caught off guard because I didn’t realize it was going to be a team meeting. So I sat kind of numb not knowing what to expect. I didn’t have on my shield of bravery. I listened, asked questions and we developed a plan of action. Although we accomplished a task that may have been beneficial to my son, I felt like I was the one under scrutiny.

We scheduled a follow up meeting to evaluate how our plan was working. At the follow up meeting I showed up with my team. My team included my mom, Rev. Sis. Dr. Adams, my grandfather and my uncle. My brother would have gone with us, but he had to work and my husband was out of town.

The purpose of dragging my family from their homes 45 miles away, was to show that my son had a loving family who cared about his well being. It didn’t hurt that my mother has a special education background. And if all else failed, I knew she would pray for somebody.
 
What I’ve learned about raising a child with ADHD is that it requires patience. Situations will not always go as you want, but you learn to adapt. I now know the symptoms of ADHD and can spot them in other children. When I see them struggling, I reassure them that they can get through their challenges.
 
For more information on ADHD check out the website www.ADHDAwarenessWeek.com

When was the last time you had to be brave?

 

 

2 comments:

  1. That definitely sounds like a moment to be brave. That's the thing about motherhood: your strength is always tried and tested.

    I have an issue with ADHD because I think it is severely over-diagnosed these days. I've seen far too often when children have been diagnosed with ADHD for reasons that do not warrant it in the DSM IV, but teachers/administrators are unable to deal with them and fully engage them... so they are diagnosed and put on meds.

    While I DO believe that some children DO have it and need meds, I think it's just overly used. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that ADHD is over-diagnosed that's why it was a long time before I considered medication. We tried changing his diet and everything else we could before going with the meds. Once my son was older we stopped the meds, but I told him we still needed to have our own plan of action for him to stay focused.
    I truly believe every family has to do what's best for their situation and not worry about what people will thing about your decision.

    Thanks Alicia for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete