Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, October 29, 2012

The First Lady of layaway – Preparing for the Holiday season

photo credit: www.wonderworkscharleston.com


“Dashing through the snow, in a one horse open sleigh…”oh wait we have plenty of time before the Christmas carols begin. However, if you’re trying to stay on a budget it’s time to start planning-for everything, gifts, holiday dinners, kids pageants, etc. Why am I talking about this now? I heard a commercial on the radio the other day indicating that layaway is back at their store.
In a radio advertisement the announcer referred to the conscientious shopper as, “The First Lady of layaway.” My response to that commercial was, “Hey, I may need to take on that title.” Considering the many things there are to do and buy in preparation for the Holidays, layaway could serve as an economical way of planning.

When my boys were younger I remember explaining to them about layaway. When I was done explaining, my youngest son asked, “Does this mean we are poor?”

“It’s, just delayed gratification. You will appreciate your items more when you finally get them,” I said.
“I will appreciate them now too.”

So much for my explanation.

Now that the boys know you don’t have to be poor to use layaway, they have joined me as I serve my term as First Lady of layaway. My platform is budget, budget, budget. I love the Christmas Holiday Season – church activities, shopping and having family over for dinner. So I have to plan ahead.

In order to keep my sanity during the Holiday season, I have the kids create a wish list of things they would like. I let them know that there are no guarantees. If they hear an outburst of laughter while I am reading their list, it means they have listed something that is too expensive. The expensive items are the ones that are slated for layaway.
You can avoid dashing through the snow for gifts at the last minute by planning ahead. Layaway can be an advantageous tool in your planning.

If you were the First Lady of layaway or the President of Penny Pinching, how would you prepare for the upcoming Holiday season?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment