Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, October 8, 2012

The great debaters – What to do when your kids like to debate

Photo courtesy of nourishingobscurity.blogspot.com.

As we enter this time of the Presidential debate, I am reminded of how my kids like to debate. I have one son who can turn any conversation into a debate. One situation went like this:

 Me:      “Turn the TV off and do your homework.”

Son:     “Some people work better when they listen to something while they work. That’s what I’m doing.”

Me:      “It doesn’t look like you’re staying focused.”

Son:     “Yes I am Ma; look, I finished most of my math, I’m just taking a break.”

I let my son win that debate.

 
Sometimes the boys debate with each other.

Son 1:  “It’s your turn to load the dishwasher.”

Son 2:  “No you have to do it because I took out the trash when it was your turn.”

Son 1:  “Well I loaded and unloaded two days in a row.”

 On occasion the boys actually come up with a good argument for why they should or shouldn’t do something. So what do you do when kids like to debate? Encourage them to hone their skill in a positive manner.
 
When I hear a debate coming on between my two sons, I tell each of them to state their facts and give two supporting arguments. We turn their argument into a game. Sometimes this tactic works and sometimes it doesn’t. However, this method gets them to think about alternative solutions to a situation.
 
You can have your child experience debating in a fun way through an interactive online game. Play the game at www.funenglishgames.com/writinggames/debate.html.

What is you solution for kids who like to debate?

2 comments:

  1. I think using their debate as a teachable moment is a great idea! I like the idea of telling them to state facts and two supporting arguments. Of course, I will probably still not allow my son to watch TV while doing homework (the educator is me screams "Heck no!), but I will allow him to listen to calming music while doing so. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of calming music playing, but my son tries to blast hip hop...always a battle. lol.

    ReplyDelete