Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Parenting through the alphabet – 52 ways to keep your sanity while growing as a parent

Photo credit: crazytownmayor.com
 
 
Here’s my latest idea…a book about surviving parenthood using each letter of the alphabet. Every week a story will be posted based on a word or phrase beginning with a letter of the alphabet. Since there are 52 weeks there will be two stories based on each letter.
At the end of 52 weeks readers will have a pocketful of stories that will inspire and encourage you to stay afloat in the sea of parenthood.  I will have a first draft of something. Let’s begin our journey.

A – Aging
As your kids age, so will you. It’s an obvious statement right? Not always. Sometimes the things your child does may cause you to age faster. Or just feel like you’ve aged.

I dyed my hair several months ago and the color is starting to grow out. My son made a comment that lead me to believe he has been living in a special little cave all his own. The other night he looked at my hair and said, “Ma, do you have highlights?”

I was surprised that he knew what highlights were, but I responded, “Yes, Grey ones.”
“Why did you get Grey highlights?”

“Because of conversations like this.”

From Glam to...
 

Grey!

My highlights are actually bronze with hints of Grey, due to the aging process and stress levels. On any given day it could be one child or two who add to this process. Son number two has been known to blurt out his fair share of crazy comments.
I have a friend who is always posting pictures on Instagram, one day I decided I might try it. I asked my son to help me upload the app. He looked at me and said, “Ma you know there’s an age limit, right?”

I looked at him and said, “You know there’s a cut off point for your allowance, right?”
We spoke each other’s language.

Aging with the kids can be a thrill ride or a scary, haunted house kind of place. I am learning to strap in and enjoy the ride.  There will be peaks, dips and curves, but there is light at the end of the ride.
What thrill rides of life has your child taken you on?


Feel free to also leave a comment if there is a word beginning with a letter that you would like to see addressed (keep it PG). Tune in next Friday will the focus will again turn to the letter 'a'.  What else could there possibly be to say about this letter? Wait and see.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment