Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, August 10, 2020

Monday Musings – Finding Humor in a Dental Visit During a Pandemic

Photo Credit: California Dental Association

It’s tough finding a new normal as the world works it’s way through a pandemic. We still need to schedule doctor’s appointments, dental appointments, and focus on our health. It’s been a rollercoaster ride that no one wanted to take. What can we do? We can find humor wherever it lurks. Here’s my story…

I Had my first visit to the dentist after the quarantine and the office reopened. A new dentist joined the practice. He told me, “I’m going to do a complete exam on you today, that means x-rays, checking your jaw line and cleaning your teeth.”

He rubbed his hands along my neck, then circular motions around my jaw line, then circular motions at the temple of my forehead. While he was doing this, he asked, “Any pain here?”

“No, actually that felt good, could you do the back of my neck too?”

He moved on to the x-rays…that’s when he brought out the bullet proof vest, I mean, that weighted blanket/vest type thing. You know the thing they drape over you, then leave the room so they’re not exposed to the radiation.

By the time the dentist actually started cleaning my teeth I was settled in. As he laid the dental chair back, he asked, “Would you like a pillow?”

He placed that pillow under my head, and it was all over for me. I relaxed – every – muscle- in my body…and I fell asleep, three times. He kept saying, “Open please.”

At the end of my visit he sent me home with a teeny tiny, thimble size sealed cup with something that looked like toothpaste in it.

“When you get home, put a little water in this, it’s grainy like. Brush it across your teeth, then rinse.”

“So, I have to finishing cleaning my teeth myself? Do I get a discount?

How are you surviving appointments during a pandemic?

No comments:

Post a Comment