Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, August 17, 2020

Motivational Monday – Your backstory creates your history

 

Photo Credit: Print Media Center

It was the late 1970’s as I sat in the backseat of my grandparents Yellow Cadillac. Ten years old and thin as a rail; my legs stuck to the leather seats as I tried to scooch up to peek over my grandfather’s shoulders. Finally free, my knees slammed into the back of the driver’s seat. “How long will it take us to get there?”

My grandfather unfolded his paper road map and had it spread across the dashboard. “A few days,” he said. Old Spice aftershave tickled my nose as I settled in for the journey.

We were on our way to California, by car, with a road map to guide us. No Siri, no Alexa, no old school TomTom navigational system to lead us to our destination. Traveling with my grandparents was always the highlight of my summer vacations. Times change, our destination may change, but stops along the way build our character and become a part of our history.

It’s up to you to decide how you want to move forward with your life. Below is a thought-provoking poem.

Decide

So, do it. Decide.

Is this the live

You want to live?

Is this the person

You want to love?

Is this the best you can be?

Can you be stronger?

Kinder? More compassionate?

Decide.

Breathe in.

Breathe out

And decide.

            -Meredith Grey

 

Take time everyday to create a memory, it doesn’t have to be anything extravagant. Share a laugh with a friend, go for a walk with your child, stroll down memory lane with a relative. Decide that you will be the best possible you.

The summer of 1982 I sat in the driver’s seat of my grandparents dark Blue Cadillac. The air conditioner was blowing on my legs to keep them from sticking to the warmth of the leather seats. My grandmother was calm and patient as I practiced driving. I wasn’t ready for an extended road trip, but I was learning.

What is your backstory? What are some of your happy childhood memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment