Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, August 28, 2020

Fun Friday – Crafts and Discipline – How they work together


What do you do for relaxation? For me, working on a crafty type project relaxes my mind. It can be sewing, building something (small), or even coloring (yes, coloring). Every now and then I venture off to JoAnn’s (Fabric and Crafts). When my kids were younger they took these excursions with me.

I trip to JoAnn’s could be sporadic, just because I wanted to work on something new. If I were in a sewing mood, I’d search out a pattern that said, Easy, 90-minute pattern. The project always turned out to take me 90 minutes, each day, for a week. I didn’t care, I was creating. My kids had a different outlook on our visits to JoAnn’s.

When it was time for a trip to JoAnn’s, I had to subpoena my kids. I gave them a note written in Red crayon that said, Get in the car. Now. As we pulled into the store parking lot, the first thing my kids saw were the 50-foot letters (it seemed to them) that spelled JOANN’S. They slumped in their seats and cried out, “Nooo, do we have to go in? Can we stay in the car?”

“No, we’re shopping together. You can select a craft project.”

“But you take too long. I don’t want to do a craft that bad.”

We made I through several shopping trips in that manner. It later dawned on me that I stumbled upon a new form of discipline. Many believe that spanking is bad and prefer to take away privileges. Here was yet another form of discipline. I was giving my kids something, not taking away. I was giving them the opportunity to explore a craft store.

If my kids were misbehaving, all I needed to say was, “Let’s take a trip to JoAnn’s.” Together the two of them resembled an Octopus. Their arms and legs were swinging and swaying, their faces contorted into monster shapes. We went to the store anyway and they whined and moaned, while customers stared.

I was sure someone was going to contact child protective services, believing that I was harming my kids. So, we quickly left the store with my kids smiling believing they had won.  After they strapped on their seatbelts, I drove them straight to…Michael’s Crafts.

It was tough love, but somebody had to do it.






What family stories are you finding humorous lately?

What family stories are you finding humorous lately?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment