Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Tips to make eating healthy a little easier and a few recipes to get you started

My version of Olga's Chicken Blue Cheese Salad - minus the walnuts (didn't have any on hand) and added Craisins.


Summertime is a great time to experiment with meal preparation. Whether it’s in the kitchen or on the grill creating something new can add a spark to your routine meals. When it comes to cooking I can’t compete with Betty Crocker, Martha Stewart or Emeril, but I don’t mind trying something new.
One of my favorite foods to eat is a salad. When I come across a great salad I try to re-create it at home. Sometimes I make additions of my own. Olga’s Kitchen used to carry a Chicken Blue Cheese salad that I was hooked on. Below is my replication of the Olga’s salad and other tips to making eating healthy a little easier:
  • Keep it simple – It has been said by many experts that when we skip meals or wait too long to eat, we’ll grab the first thing we can get our hands on. Why not keep a few healthy foods on hand that can be prepared quickly. Here is my recipe for a quick salad (see photo above).
Spring Mix lettuce
Grilled chicken (optional – not in photo of salad)
Strawberries
Mandarin Oranges
Blue Cheese
Glazed Walnuts or Almonds
Raspberry Vinaigrette (Lite) dressing

  • Prepare a fun snack or meal – Making an occasional fun snack is also something that the kids can help with. Fruit Smoothies are a real treat and don’t take long to make.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
3-4 Strawberries
1 Medium Banana
1 Cup of Cranberry juice
4 Ice Cubes
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend. Pour in a glass, add whip cream (optional), and sip through a straw. Aaahhh.

Fruit Kabob
Strawberries
Pineapples
Grapes
Cantaloupe
Poke fruits onto a skewer and they're ready for the palate, Kids love this part...putting the fruit on the and eating it.
  • Prep foods in advance – cut up a bowl of fresh fruits and/or vegetables so they are handy when you get hungry.
One of my kids’ favorite things to make is to pour their favorite drink in an ice tray and let it freeze. Once the ice cubes are frozen they put them in a glass and pour a different beverage over them. I call it a mess, but they call it a creation.
What foods are on your list of healthy things to eat during the summer or anytime? Do you have any tips that make it easier to eat healthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment