Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Tips for teaching kid’s tact and diplomacy

The dress my son calls my
"Skittle" dress.

Have you heard the sayings, “out of the mouths of babes” or “kids say the darndest things?” The quirky things kids say when they are young are cute. However, when they’re 12 years old or older it may not be as cute.
My realization that kids (my kids) need tact and diplomacy came when I decided to have a mommy makeover. I had my hair highlighted for the spring. When I picked up my son from school he looked at me and said, “What happened to your hair?”

I responded by saying, “I changed my look.”
As my son raised his eyebrows he said, “You should change it back.”

I looked at him and said, “May your children be just like you.”
My son likes to joke around, but I have to make sure he knows what is appropriate when joking with other people.

Another part of my makeover included buying a new outfit. My son happened to be with me as I tried on dresses. I exited the fitting room and asked what he thought of the dress. “It looks like a pack of Skittles.” I purchased the colorful dress anyway.
As I was paying for my dress, a customer in line next to me said she wanted to see the Skittle dress. She had overheard my son’s comment. I showed the dress to her and she happened to like it.

So how to you teach kids about tact and diplomacy? Discuss the tips below with your child.
 
    1. Don’t blurt out the first thing that pops in your head. Kids need to know there is a time and place for everything. For example, they shouldn’t blurt out, “This food is nasty,” while at a party. Even if he thinks the statement is true, there is a better way to express thoughts where no one feels offended.
    2. Be aware of other people’s feelings. Sometimes kids don’t know when they’re hurting someone’s feelings. Kids may tease each other or their siblings, but not realize when the joke has gone too far. We see this all the time in schools in the form of bullying.
    Social behavior is learned. Kids have to, “develop the ability to decode body language and facial expressions, and know when to stop. It’s one of those life tips that they learn only with guidance.” www.o5.com/how-to-teach-kids-to-be-tactful/.
    1. Get used to doing things the correct way at home.  I always tell my kids to practice doing things the right way so that when they go out in public they don’t look bad or make me look bad. I am usually referring to etiquette things like stuffing their mouths with food, or belching at the dinner table etc. However, practicing tact and diplomacy at home can apply to any situation.
    What tips do you have for teaching kids how to be tactful?







No comments:

Post a Comment