Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Schools out, what will the kids do for the summer?



On the last day of school my son came home with a drawstring bag full of books. Well, there were eight paperback books, but in his eyes there were a million. The school gave some of the kid’s books to encourage summer reading.
The books came with a suggested plan of action for completion, “read one book per week.” My son said, “They must have given these books to the wrong kid. I don’t like reading that much.”

We are working on a compromise. Sometimes I wonder why I even enter into negotiations with a 12 year old. I think it’s because listening to my son’s rationale is always entertaining. He thinks he should receive a reward for everything he does. 

Example: “What will I get if I clean my room and the living room?” or “If I do all of my chores without you asking, will you buy me something at the store?”
Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me. So, for the summer there will be reading accomplished in some form. I have registered both the boys (and myself) for the summer reading program at our local library.

The library’s program DOES offer rewards for reading so many minutes (younger kids) or for reading so many books (adults). We’ve already cashed in on the free ice cream cones just for registering for the program.
As far as “fun” things for the kids to do, we’re always in search of inexpensive outings. The kids are already looking forward to spending as much time as possible at Rolling Hills Water Park. They are really encouraging begging me to get a season pass.
Doing a hand stand...are his legs supposed to be straight in the air?

My kids love the water.







If you’re in the Ann Arbor area, there is a Summer Carnival at Pioneer High School coming up, June 20-24. The Ann Arbor Mom Blog lists this and other inexpensive family outings.

Photo courtesy of Ann Arbor Jaycees



I like carnivals as much as the kids do, so I’m sure we’ll show up at one somewhere this summer.

What are your summer plans with (or without) the kids?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the call out for the Ann Arbor Mom blog Angie - I appreciate it greatly. It's nice to have the support of fellow bloggers in the area.

    I hope you find lots of inexpensive things to do with the kids this summer. I know our search has already begun! ;)

    ReplyDelete