Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Confessions of tired mom

Photo courtesy of nafbm.org.

Does it seem like sometimes one day just blends into the next? The kids have homework, practices, you have to make dinner and the list goes on. Then you start again the next day. Have you experienced a time when you have had so much to do that you forget something or just don’t have time to do it?
In a previous blog post I wrote about how I can fall asleep anywhere when I’m tired, well my story doesn’t end there. I have many confessions of things that don’t get done because I am too tired.

  • I have let my son go to bed without brushing his teeth because I am too tired to struggle with him about it. The battle would be a true a story of man versus man.
  • My kids eat food from a can (with a pop top, no can opener needed) if I am too tired to cook. The positive side is they are old enough to prepare a few things themselves. I am beginning a routine of having the kids prepare a meal one night a week.
  • Trying to keep kids schedules coordinated can sometimes lead to memory lapse. A mom in my carpool asked if I need her to pick up my son on the last day of school. Neither of us knew if the last day was a half day, so I said I would call the school. I also wanted to verify that Wednesday was the last day of school and not Thursday as I thought.

I called the school when the secretary answered I asked, “When is the last day of school for the kids?” In a high pitched voice (not my normal tone), I also asked, “Is it a half day?”

She responded by saying, “Mrs. Verges, you can’t disguise your voice, I know it’s you.” I was busted. I just started laughing. I told her that I really didn’t want her to know that I didn’t know when school ended. Obviously I spend too much time at the school if she recognizes my voice.

  • I let the kids play longer than they should, instead of getting their chores done. Some days the kids get away with a lot more than they should because I don’t feel like standing over them to be sure the tasks are done.
So what is the solution to being overworked and too tired to do anything? Eliminate some of the things that you are doing. I am learning to say no to a few things. You can’t be everywhere, all the time and not expect to be tired.

You also have to make time for yourself and know that you are not being selfish. Do something that you find relaxing or invigorating. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant. Sometimes it's the little things that go a long way.
What do you do when you feel overworked? How do you rejuvenate?

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I'm a huge fan of being selfish sometimes. And sometimes I totally let Aiden go to bed without brushing his teeth because I'm too tired to quarrel with him over it. I call it SURVIVAL!

    ReplyDelete