Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

8 Things you should know before your next road trip



We are getting into the season where people begin to make travel plans. Before you take a road trip make sure you know what you’re getting into. As an “expert” (because I took one very long road trip recently), I would like to share a few travel tips with you.

The following tips may help your trip go a little more smoothly:

1.      Take someone with you who likes to drive. If your travel destination is more than 6 hours away it’s good to have a second driver. If another driver is not available, at least try to find another adult as a travel companion. Talking to another adult can help the time pass quickly.

2.      Take someone who can read directions and/or follow the GPS navigation system. If you use a navigation system, be sure the volume is up loud enough for you to hear it. “Laura”, my GPS person told me a couple of times to “turn around when possible.” The volume was so low that I didn’t hear when she told me to “exit right, ahead.”
 
3.      Limit luggage to one small carry on per person…oversize bags subject to a service fee. My mother’s suitcase was so large that I think she had enough clothes to change twice a day. I encouraged her to wear everything that she took. She did a good job honoring my request.

4.      If you’re traveling with kids, practice saying no. If you’re staying at a hotel you might say, “No you can’t stay in the swimming pool until your skin becomes wrinkled.” “No you can’t race your brother down the hotel hallway.”
 
5.      Travel with snacks. Eat your snacks in moderation or you may bring home more than souvenirs. You may bring back a few pounds with you. I’ve lived this one.

6.      Plan to stop frequently to avoid frustration....your frustration and that of your traveling companions.

7.      Be sure you know what type of currency is accepted at the places you will visit. My mom took travelers checks and they were not accepted at many of the places we stopped. People looked at us as though we had fallen through a time machine. When we gave the travelers checks to the waitress at Applebee’s she said, “Oh, I remember these, but I don’t remember how we process them.” The hotel we stayed at didn’t even accept the checks. It’s a good thing we had a back-up plan.
8.      Take someone who prays or pray yourself. If you’re traveling with kids you’ll need this for sure. If you’re traveling by yourself you’ll still need prayer for safe travels.
What are your tips for planning a road trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment