Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Social networking tips for parents


Kids don't always make the best decisions while social networking.
Photo of scarf (doo rag) my son photograped me wearing. This is a retake, the original photo was much worse.


I picked up a bookmark at the library that listed social networking tips for parents. The way my mind works, I put a different spin on this topic. I viewed this title as tips to help parents improve their social networking skills.
I took the titles listed on the bookmark and added my interpretation.
Be reasonable and try to set reasonable expectations. My interpretation of this tip is - I expect my child to show me the things that I don’t understand on the social networks.

Be open with your children. Here is what I would say to my kids. “I don’t know how to do some of the stuff that you do with technology. I need you to show me and not whine about it.”
Talk with your children. The information on the bookmark said to be sure your child knows the risks in posting personal information and inappropriate photos. I found out that you can’t assume kids know the basics.

When I visited my son’s facebook page, I saw where he told someone to text him and he listed his phone number. My first thought was, “arrrrrrr!!!”

Consider requiring that all online activity take place in a central area of the home, not in a child’s bedroom. Yes all activity should take place in a neutral area of the house; an area where kids don’t have their toys lying around posing a potential safety hazard. Toys in the case of my kids include: basketballs, footballs, PSP.
Try to get your children to share their blogs or online profiles with you. The information here said to be aware that kids can have multiple accounts.
If I were to add a tip of my own to the list, it would be the Golden Rule – Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

My son posted a photo of me on facebook that was unbecoming to say the least.  I had on my comfy pajama pants and my hair tied up with a purple scarf. I practiced a few deep breathing techniques before I talked to him.  I also went into a Karate Kid stance (wax on, wax off).
In order to illustrate my message to my son, I showed up in his classroom with my scarf on. As I walked down the middle school hall, I explained to his teachers what was happening. They were all smiles as they gave their approval.

Needless to say, the photo was deleted from facebook and my son understood my message. This solution may seem extreme to some people, but it worked for my situation.
For addition information (that is really useful) on the topic of social networking, safe blogging, etc. visit www.ConnectSafely.org. The site provides a list of resources for keeping kids safe on their internet journey.

What tips do you have for parents who have kids involved with social networking?


No comments:

Post a Comment