Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Flags, Flowers & Family – A Memorial Day Celebration


Originally called Decoration Day, Memorial Day is a day of remberance for those who have died in our nation’s service. Some celebrate by attending a parade or visiting the gravesite of a military person.
Memorial Day and weekend is also a time that families come together in celebration. This year my family celebrated with a family reunion held in Kentucky. We visited Fort Campbell military base where we toured a museum and visited the family cemetery.

Fort Campbell Museum
There was a lot of history shared, friendships started and memories created. Getting together with family is a good investment of time. We strengthen family ties and even learn new family facts.
When I arrived at our family reunion there was only one person there that I knew. I had never been to a reunion for that side of the family. The one cousin I knew smiled and whispered to me, “I don’t think we’re really related to these people.”
I had just driven nine hours for a trip that should have taken seven and a half. I looked at my cousin and said, “We’re family now.” I eventually learned how we were all connected.
What I have learned from our Memorial Day weekend celebration is that it’s good to know your roots and who you’re related to. The following are reasons why you need to know your family:
  1. You could be marrying a cousin. When in high school, my cousin found out that a boy who had a crush on her was her cousin.
  2. You have relatives to stay with when you go out of town, it saves you money on hotel expense.
  3. When your kids act out and you don’t understand where the behavior came from…you can blame that side of the family.
It’s good to know your family just because they are family. Over the Memorial Holiday is when we see people waving flags at parades, refreshing flowers at gravesites or simply spending time with family.  It’s all about creating memories.
What are your favorite Memorial Day memories?

3 comments:

  1. You has a great blog. I'm very interesting to stopping here and leaves you a comment. Good work.

    Lets keep writing and share your information to us.

    Nb: Dont forget to leave your comment back for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. darkheart, thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You COULD marry a cousin if you don't know your family... LOL! Never thought of that, but it's so true. HAHA!

    Umm... this Memorial Day, we went to a local park and had a picnic. We brought along the soccer ball and frisbee and had a little fun in the sun! Good times!

    ReplyDelete