Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, September 18, 2020

Fun Friday – Read the Small Print

 

A gift of  brotherly love

Tupac Shakur was a popular rap artist in the 1990’s. One of my sons was born the same year that Tupac died, yet both of my sons talk about Tupac’s music as though they were around at the time of his fame. My older son surprised his brother by visiting him at college, with a birthday gift in hand. It was a small gesture, but one he knew his brother would appreciate. Maybe.

My older son entered his brothers’ apartment with a broad grin across his face and holding the gift behind his back. “I got you something.” He whipped out a rolled-up poster that had a quote along the side. “This is you Bro, read the quote.”

“…by the words of His mouth…okay, that’s nice.”

“It’s a Tupac poster.”

My younger son began unrolling the poster, “Um, I don’t think this is a Tupac poster.” Stars and constellations danced on the poster as my son read the entire  quote to his brother.

“By the word of the Lord the heavens were made and the stars, by the word of His mouth” – Psalm 33:6



As my son recanted this story to me over the phone I said, “Did you get Tupac confused with Jesus?”

I told my son about an old spiritual song parishioners used to sing at my grandfathers’ church. The lyrics were, take the Lord along with you everywhere you go; You’re gonna’ need Him, everywhere you go.

The poster error was one way of telling my sons they needed a little more Jesus and a little less Tupac. I still had one lingering question for my son, “How did you think you had a Tupac poster?”

The answer was simple, “I just grabbed the wrong one, the posters were all next to each other.”

Read the small print and now what you’re getting. It’s not always bad, just know what you’re getting.

Have you ever misread a label?

No comments:

Post a Comment