Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, June 28, 2021

Muffins with Mom – A Graduation Celebration 3 Ways to make your event fun

 


The official graduation ceremony ended weeks ago, the sound of pomp and circumstance now in the distance, but the celebration continues. Family, friends, fun, and the threat of foul weather. What do you do when something threatens to rain on your parade, dampen your spirits? Attack with humor.

The day of my son’s outdoor graduation open house, the weather prediction called for all day thunderstorms. We regrouped and moved the event to an inside location. I arrived early to arrange the room. After an hour, I was ready for a snack and realized I’d forgotten my favorite Sparkling Ice water.

I called my son around 10am and asked, “Can you bring me  a couple bottles of water on your way to your haircut appointment?”

“Sure, mom.”

An hour passed and my throat was beyond dry. I called my son again, “Did you forget about me?”

“No, I was going to bring the water when I’m on my way to the open house.”

“At 2pm? I’m thirsty now, not three hours from now.”

“Oh.”

That response meant I wasn’t going to quench my thirst anytime soon. The threat of severe weather was back, only this time it was inside my body…in the form of hot flashes. Between the weather in the physical environment and the blazing temperature attacking my body, stress was mounting.

A graduation celebration is supposed to reflect fun, fellowship, and friendship. Here are 3 ways to make your celebration fun.



1.      Plan a variety of activities – not everyone will like the same things. One group of young adults were enthralled in a game of cards. A few younger kids were captivated by the jumbo Connect Four game.

2.      Have plenty of food – it’s a personal preference, but I’d rather have food left over, then to run out. Your food selection does not have to be elaborate but have enough.

3.      Provide music – music sets the atmosphere; make it upbeat, lively and enough variety for all ages.

All of these things were included in our graduation celebration. Once our event was relocated indoors, nothing rained on our parade. There was a trash talking card game in one corner, aunts and uncles reminiscing at another table, and the graduate posing for pictures.

Don’t miss a chance to celebrate with your child or other relative.

How many graduation celebrations have you been to this year? What made the celebration fun?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment