Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, June 14, 2021

Motivational Monday – African American Music Appreciation Month

 Music stirs emotion, sooths the soul, and relaxes you at the end of a long day. African American Music Appreciation Month is observed annually in June. It was initiated as Black Music Appreciation Month by Jimmy Carter in 1979 (Wikipedia). The commemoration was given it’s current name by former President Barack Obama in 2009.

Did you know that African American music gave birth to jazz and rap? The beats and sounds of these genres influenced rock, soul, gospel, swing, be-bop, boogie-woogie, and other genres of music. Today I’d like to focus on the sounds of gospel.

How many black singers can you name who got their start in church? Take a few minutes to think about it before you read the answers, which I will reveal in the next sentence.

Here are some of the artists who can “trace their musical roots from the Lord’s house to the top of the charts (Biography.com).”

Aretha Franklin

Whitney Houston

Otis Redding

Marvin Gaye

The Staple Singers

The Emotions

Donna Summer

Stephanie Mills

Faith Evans

John Legend

How many did you identify from this list? Feel free to share other artists not listed here.

I find comfort, inspiration, and hope, through gospel songs. I attempted to fine just a couple of my favorites to share with you, but that was difficult to do because there are so many. I found two songs, then I came across a R & B Gospel Mix, that has a collection of songs.


Beverly Crawford - He's Done Enough
YouTube Video Credit: JahalQ

Richard Smallwood - Total Praise
YouTube Viedo Credit: GospelMusic TV 


YouTube Video Credit: Gutter Free Hip Hop


Disclaimer: I don’t own the rights to any of the songs presented in this blog post. I hope you find inspiration through some of the music presented or by exploring other artists during African American Music Appreciation Month.

No comments:

Post a Comment