Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, June 18, 2021

Fun Friday - National Zoo and Aquarium Month

Detroit Zoo
 

Rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation are words to live by. These things can be accomplished by engaging in fun activities. It’s National Zoo and Aquarium Month; visit your local zoo and aquarium or travel to a city you’ve never been to.

Do you have a fond memory of visiting a zoo or aquarium? As a young child, my brother and I traveled with our grandparents every year. One year it was a trip to Arizona for a convention that my grandmother attended. While there, we visited the Phoenix Zoo. I was around nine years old.

The best part of the zoo visit was riding the open car train. It was on tracks, but more like a covered car with open sides, that could hold about 25 people. The tour guide described the sights as we moved from one to the next going at the speed of a sloth. I took pictures with my very own camera that held Kodak film.

One click, two clicks. I took pictures of a long-horned rhino, a giraffe eating lunch, and the face of the person across from me, who moved into my camera view. As I moved to take one more picture, my arm bumped something, and my camera flew out of the open side of our tram car.

I yelled to my grandfather, “Daddy Bob, my camera fell out.” The train kept moving. My grandfather jumped off the train from an open side, ran a few feet to retrieve my camera, then jogged to catch up. He grabbed a side of the train and hopped back aboard with my memories tucked in the pocked of his suit coat.

A visit to the Phoenix Zoo from over 40 years ago is still etched in my memory, the animals as well as almost losing my camera.

After having children, the zoo has been one of our favorite places to visit. Last summer as we were thinking of things to do during COVID, my son said, “Let’s go to the zoo. We haven’t been in years.”

Detroit Zoo

During that summer, our excitement took us to the Toledo Zoo and he Detroit Zoo. Next on our list is a visit to the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta, GA and one day, the San Diego Zoo.

What’s a favorite zoo or aquarium that you’ve visited? Where will your travels take you this summer? Remember to build in time for rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation.

 

A Mother/Daughter Moment at The Detroit Zoo

No comments:

Post a Comment