Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, November 2, 2020

Motivational Monday - Take Note and Vote

 

Photo Credit: Pinterest

The first time I cast a vote was in fifth grade. There was a race for class president, and I was a contender. Our school only had two fifth grade classes giving me a fifty/fifty chance at victory. At the urging of my mother my campaign began. My campaign manager (mom) helped me create posters that read – Take Note and Vote. Music notes danced near the words.

 My classmates and I learned about the election process, from campaigning to voting, and delivering speeches. Although I was not elected as class president, I gained a greater understanding of how it felt to step out of your comfort zone.

Another childhood memory of the election process was going with my mother to the voting precinct. I trailed behind her as she stepped into the metal booth and pulled a metal lever that closed the curtain. It felt like we were in the dressing room type booth for eternity (kid terms). Mom starred at the voting panel, slid levers, then finally we were done.

Photo Credit: NY Daily News

Fast forward a few decades and it was my sons turn to take note and vote. They accompanied me to the church that was my polling precinct. The sky was dark, and the air was brisk as we waited in the long line to vote in the 2008 Presidential election. The polling booth was different the metal one from my childhood. However, the reason we were there was the same…to make our voice count; Well…my voice, my sons were too young.

Today, both my sons have voted. What about you, have you voted or plan to vote on November 3rd? What fond memories do you have about the election process?

Make your voice heard.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment