Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, November 20, 2020

Fun Friday – How Do You Exercise Your Humor Muscles?

 

...that moment when your son says he'll watch a movie with you

My grandmother used to say, “if you want to grow up big and strong, you have to exercise and eat right.” I apply this theory to humor. If you want to build your mental health, exercise your humor muscles. Do you remember that adage, an apple a day keeps the doctor away? If you’ve never heard this, it’s because you’ve never met my Grandmama.

My twist on that “apple” theory is that a laugh a day keeps stress at bay. Exercise your humor muscles one laugh at a time. Discover your humor happy place and go there often. Perhaps you need a ten-minute break during your day to regroup, refresh, or recharge. Below are a few things you can do:

1.      Read something funny

2.      Reflect on a funny memory

3.      Make someone else laugh

There comes a time in all of our lives where we must relax and feel comfortable laughing at ourselves. Here are a few scenarios to get you started:

You know it’s going to be a rough day when…

·         Your chin hairs keep snagging your mask – solution: rip that mask off quickly taking the chin hairs with it (no waxing needed).


 

·         Your portioned snack goes wild – maybe it’s just me, but there are some snacks that I can’t keep in the house because uncontrolled eating may occur. It happens often with peanuts. One time I decided not to eat the nuts from the can by the handfuls, but to shake a small portion into  a bowl. The only thing is my hand didn’t cooperate.

As I shook the can it slipped from my hand, knocked the bowl over, nuts scattered on the floor and the can hit the floor. There may have been ten peanuts that made their way into the bowl. That must have been the day that I said, “Lord help me control my eating.” Who says God doesn’t have a sense of humor?



·         You look through old photos and discover how you’ve grown…out – as I was cleaning and purging files, I came across old photos. I sat crossed-legged, well I sat with the one leg I could cross, on the floor, and reminisced. There was a picture of me and my sons at a family reunion about 15 years ago.

We were all smiling for the camera. The first thing I thought was, aww, I remember that day. I weighed 150 pounds…the good old days.



How do you exercise your humor muscles? A laugh a day keeps stress at bay.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment