Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, May 25, 2020

Muffins with Mom –Do you have a Do it Yourself Project for your child?



Have you ever prepared to leave the house, then spent the next 10 minutes wandering room to room, searching for your car keys? Stop by my house on any given day and you’ll hear someone say, “Ma, have you seen my keys?” 

After being around the house day after day, my son said, “I want to build something.”
I told my son he could rebuild the eight wooden steps outside our sliding door. I could feel his stare at the side of my head, which I’m sure was followed by eye rolls. “I guess that’s not quite what you had in mind.”

“No.”

After a brief pause, I had an idea. “You could always put up that key hook I bought the other day.” I could tell by the nod of his head that this idea appealed to him. My son walked over to the wall, where he thought the key hook should be located. He tapped on the wall in a few places, with his knuckles.

“What are you doing,” I asked.

“Looking for the stud.”

It only took a few taps before my son found the stud (area of the wall he needed to screw the frame of the key hook into). I asked a few questions as he worked such as: “Why are you placing the key rack so high? Should you move it closer toward the door?”

My son stopped hammering, turned to me with a smirk on his face and said, “This is why contractors don’t like people to be home when they’re working.”



His sarcasm was rewarded with more tasks from me and the promise of a starring role on my blog. Neither of which he was thrilled about. One thing my son WAS thrilled about was he fact that his DIY project was successful, and he accomplished it on his own.

Our keys now have a place to rest, that does not require a treasure map to find them.

If you have a child at home who is looking for something to do, give him a creative project.



What DIY projects do you have planned?



No comments:

Post a Comment