Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, May 11, 2020

Muffins with Mom – Celebrating Small Parenting Moments

A mom and son memory

The front lines of parenting has it’s up and downs. During this time of a national pandemic, it can feel like you’re on a battlefield. The general (mom) lays out the plan to her unit (children) – “One of you can unload the dishwasher while the other folds clothes.” What she hears in return is, “I did the dishes last time.” Or, “My clothes are put away.” Murmurings.

Once we have time to go our separate ways for a while, in different areas of the house, we come back together refreshed. My son’s conversation volleyed back and forth like a tennis match. “Do you remember when Mama used to have to rub Aquaphor on your back every night because you had Eczema so bad?”

“It couldn’t have been as bad as the time you used Clearasil on your face in middle school and your whole face began to peel.” They both laughed.

“Yeah, it was so bad, my teacher pulled me aside and asked if everything was okay at home.”

Traveling down memory lane was fun for my sons and heartwarming for me. They surprise me when I least expect it. These are times to cherish and let go of the minor things that threaten your peace of mind.

Just the other day as I prepared to leave home and stop by my job, I opened the trunk of my car to toss my work bag inside. There was a bunch of random items in there that I had not put there. The tissue box that I keep on the seat was in the trunk, a few work papers that I’d left in the car and a crumpled hand towel. I immediately went into complaining mode. Why is l this stuff in here? Did they use my car without asking?

It was my turn to murmur, and I did a good job with it. Until, I leaned into the car and looked up at the ceiling, then at the seat that was once stained. I took a long inhale and the scent of citrus drifted to my nostrils. My car was clean. I sat in the driver’s seat to absorb my surroundings. What I absorbed was the dampness of my seat. I smiled anyway.

My son had taken my car to have detailed cleaning done; It was my Mother’s Day gift from both sons. I had been putting off having the car cleaned, always had an excuse – I don’t have time. I don’t know how much it will cost, and so on. They made it happen and it was a pleasant surprise. It was a parenting moment that I’ll remember for some time.

What parenting moment can you celebrate right now?


No comments:

Post a Comment