Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, August 5, 2019

Muffins with Mom - All I need to know I learned in kindergarten



Today’s blog post does not contain the antics of one of my sons, it reflects someone else child that I have worked with. None the less, kids speak their mind, especially in kindergarten. Let’s go back to school so you can see what I mean…

This is a blog post from several years ago.

“All I need to know I learned in kindergarten” is a poem by Robert Fulghum. Last week I experienced that poem in real life. I was a substitute teacher in a kindergarten classroom.

I was a sub for this same teacher, Mrs. B., last year and it was a great day. I didn’t mind going back. I was only working a half day (afternoon), so I had a chance to converse with Mrs. B before she left for the day.

“You’ll have your hands full today,” she told me. My smile faded and my lip twitched as I said, “Oh.”

“But I have two Para Pros who will be here to help you,” she added.

Relief came back and we chatted a while longer. As I sat at one of the “kiddie” tables to review the lesson plan I bumped my knee on the edge of the table. That was after I attempted to sit in one of the “kiddie” chairs with fancy little armrests and my butt wouldn’t fit. I felt like Goldilocks taking over Baby Bears furniture.

As we talked, Mrs. B shared a story with me about how she explained to the class about how she had a mommy, but didn’t live with her. Mrs. B explained that she was also a mommy. One child asked her, “How many kids do you have?”

“Five,” was her reply.

Another little girl said, “Dang all of those kids came out of your private parts?” At that moment I had a pretty good idea what my day would be like.

Here is a summation of what I learned in kindergarten that day:
  • Everybody wants to be the leader (line leader, second in command, teacher’s helper). As I picked the kids up from lunch one boy said to me, “I’m second in command, I have to hold your hand.”
  • Most of the kids want to hold your hand or give you a hug.
  • Kids tell everything – “My sister tried to poke my day with a pencil. He told her to stop, but she wouldn’t listen.”
  • Be firm, but loving.
  • It’s ok to act silly sometimes.
  
Below are the things Robert Fulghum said he learned in kindergarten:

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life -
Learn some and think some
And draw and paint and sing and dance
And play and work everyday some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out into the world,
Watch out for traffic,
Hold hands and stick together.
Be aware of wonder.

What lesson(s) have you learned long ago that still stick with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment