Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, August 23, 2019

Fun Friday - 5 Friendly questions to ask a new college roommate (A parent’s perspective)

My college roommate (on our way to a high school reunion 25 yrs?)


It was college move-in day for my son and my car was packed with blankets, backpacks and storage bins. I trailed behind my son who also had a car loaded with boxes, bags, and books. I believe the only reason I was invited on the journey was to transport goods. He certainly doesn’t like it when I become too inquisitive.

My son will learn soon enough that he may want to ask his owns set of questions to potential roommates. These are questions beyond what the rental office or another landlord may ask. Quite frankly a parents list of questions may be a tad different than that of their college student.

I didn’t walk around with a clipboard and checklist, nor did I do a white glove test (for dust). The roommate came home as we were moving in and I had the opportunity to chat with him briefly.  I asked where he was from and how long he was going to school there. Before any more questions rolled from my tongue, my son glared at me.

These are the questions I would have asked…

1.      How often do you clean up…does this include the stove and fridge? Some college students have a different interpretation of cleaning than adults (my son included).

2.      Do you smoke…weed? Not judging, just wondering.

3.      Do you have friends who might visit and stay, night after night, after night? If so they need to be included on the lease and share in the rent.

4.      Do you have a pet? If so, the expectation is that you will take care of it and not leave it for others to do.

5.      Do you have reliable transportation? If the answer is no, be mindful and not ask for a ride somewhere at 5am.  It would be great if gas money is offered as well.

Have you experienced any of the above situations with college roommates? What would you add to the list of questions to ask of a potential roommate?


No comments:

Post a Comment