Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, August 30, 2019

Feel Good Friday – Kindness is contagious – 3 Ways to spread it

Photo Credit: Leading Your Life with Kindness

What does it cost to be kind to someone? A smile and an encouraging word are sufficient payment. It was college move-in day and I didn’t know what to expect, nor did my son. The extent of our knowledge was that we had a four-hour drive. It was a drive to a town I had never heard of, in a state I’ve driven past only by way of highway signs.

We arrived at my sons’ new place of residence, a corner house with enough paved parking for five vehicles. As we approached the door we nearly bumped into a couple of young kids running in our direction. Their smiling faces greeted us, followed by the introductions of their parents. The rambunctious boys were siblings to the older guys who were to be roommates with my son.

As we crossed the threshold of the front door the coach extended his hand and introduced himself. The large living room was filled with friendly conversation, laughter, families, and players eating pizza. These were the players of the college basketball team and their families, getting to know each other.

Kindness is contagious. How do you spread it? Here are 3 ways.

1.      Share your smile – people like to see a smiling face, it can change how they’re feeling
2.      Let someone go ahead of you in a crowded grocery store line
3.      Share a word of encouragement with someone
Kindness is contagious, it warms your heart and the heart of the person on the receiving end.

After shopping for a few items for my sons’ new living quarters, we took our items to the register to pay. The smiling cashier engaged in conversation with us. When I presented my driver’s license with the payment she said, “Oh, you’re a ways from home.”

“My son is here for college.”

The cashier look up at my son and said, “Do you know anyone here?”

His response was, “No, not yet.”

“Well, my name is Marsha, now you know me. Stop by the store anytime and say hi.”

My son and I both left the store with a smile and a warm fuzzy feeling that makes your heart smile.

Well, that was my sentiment, not sure my son would use those words.



What does it cost to be kind to someone? A little bit of time and a whole lot of smiles.


No comments:

Post a Comment