Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, March 27, 2020

Feel Good Friday – Finding the Silver Lining During a Crisis

Photo Credit: tricia - silverlinings blog


Have you ever driven through a storm? Thunder booms, rain beats down onto your car windshield, the sky bursts with a flash of light, momentarily blinding you. You desperately want to arrive at your destination, but you need to rethink your plan. You’re in crisis mode. How can you possibly find a silver lining? You can do it.

Here are 3 ways you can find the silver lining (the good) in a crisis situation.

1.      See this as a time to reevaluate
2.      Think of reasons to be grateful
3.      Find the blessing

We are currently living in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, a crisis no one anticipated or planned for. Many people are struggling to establish a new normal or hold onto as much of their normal routine as possible.

The new normal at my house is anything, but normal. Journey with me.
The alarm sounds early morning, but a little later than usual. No need to rush off to the fitness studio because the doors are closed. Temporarily. I dismiss the alarm a couple of times then drag from the bed and dress in my workout attire.

My phone soon dings again. It’s the fitness Coach letting viewers know she is ready for our live workout. Determined not to have our fitness efforts derailed, the coach keeps us motivated and our bodies moving.

Sweat washed away, body clean and cozy in leggings and a t-shirt, it’s off to the kitchen. Eggs are scrambled with spinach. Strawberries join them on the plate. Breakfast is ready. The tea kettle whistles signaling its readiness for instant coffee.

Breakfast devoured, it’s off to the office, the makeshift home office. The new normal. The difference in working outside the home and at home? The kids are there too (big kids/young adults). The presence of kids home with you can be a silver lining, when the right approach is used – quality time together.



At the end of the workday my son and I played Jenga and watched the movie Barbershop. Just because I felt like doing something out of the norm I said, “Hey do you want me to give you a facial?”

“Sure,” he quickly agreed.

I’m no licensed professional, just a Mama Bear having fun with her cub.

“Sit in my (office) chair, I’ll get you prepped.”

I grabbed a clean bedsheet, gave it a quick shake, then draped it across my son, like a barber’s cape, closing it with a hair clip near his neck. I pressed a warm cloth over his face, removed it, then spread a thin layer of cool charcoal mask over his face; careful not to brush any over his sideburns. Success
.
I am grateful for time spent being silly with my sons. I am grateful that I can work from home. I have reevaluated the things I consider important. I am blessed.

Find your silver lining.


No comments:

Post a Comment