Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, September 16, 2019

Motivational Monday – Health is Wealth


“It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.” Mahatma Gandhi

Have you ever experienced an ailment…headache, backache, upset stomach? These are all conditions of discomfort, they can be mild or severe, but none the less they’re uncomfortable. Now think about how you feel when you awake to a new day with energy and no pain anywhere in your body. Health is Wealth.

What are you doing to invest in your health? You make regular deposits into your bank account, do the same for your health. If you have been inactive for a while, build walking into your routine. If you’re already walking, walk faster (or run if that’s your preference). Progressively build upon what you’re doing. Every step you take is an investment in your health.

The best way to achieve success is to not make drastic changes (my opinion). In my case, if I had said I was giving up drink pop for good, it would have seemed unachievable. Instead, I started out by giving up pop for 30 days. On the first time I was unsuccessful, the second time I made it a little farther. By the third attempt, I no longer HAD to have my daily Diet Coke.

It’s been a few years since I’ve let go of my pop crutch. I’ll have one every now and then, but nothing like I used to. My latest challenge is to make healthy eating choices. I exercise regularly, so I know my focus needs to be on the foods I eat. When I was young I used to hear my grandmother talk about the “middle-aged spread.” I didn’t know what she meant by that. Now I know.

Grandma’s reference to the middle-aged spread meant gaining weight (after a certain age) that just won’t go away. It’s the battle of the bulge. It’s those moments that you feel if you breathe in the aroma of certain foods you’ll instantly gain weight. It’s the reason I rush past the snack aisle in the grocery store (must not make eye contact).

As you focus on your health and wellness, know what your triggers are. If you know you can’t eat just one potato chip, don’t keep them in the house. If you need to start with baby steps, buy a snack-sized bag of chips and not the family size. So you want to start a fitness routine, but don’t have time in the evening? Wake up a little earlier and start your day with morning stretches or some other exercise.

Health is wealth. “Healthy is an outfit that looks different on everybody (Author Unknown).” Chose a health and wellness routine that fits your lifestyle.

“Fall in love with taking care of yourself. Mind. Body. Soul (Author Unknown).”


No comments:

Post a Comment