Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, September 9, 2019

Motivational Monday – The DIY Project – Garage Mechanic

Under the hood

Chef. Chauffer. Negotiator. Coach. As parents, we wear many hats. Most recently I earned a new hat…Garage Mechanic. I took on a Do It Yourself (DIY) project that was not planned. It was a project I would even call a Do What You Gotta Do Project.

My project involved knowledge needed to dissemble wires, plugs, and cords. The cause of this project was my fault. My sons’ car was parked next to mine in the garage. As I got out of my car, I opened the door too wide and bumped my sons’ car. It wasn’t hard, but it was enough to set off the car alarm. Bleep, bleep, bleep, was the constant sound I heard.

My son was not home. I searched all around the house for his car keys. Once I found them I pressed the clicker, nothing happened. I got inside the car and tried starting the car, nothing happened. It was time to call for back up. I opened the hood of the car, took a picture and sent it to my brother with a text message that said, “What’s next?”

“Disconnect one of the cables, it should be an 8mm. You will need a set of pliers,” my brother said.

In my mind flashed a scene from a TV action movie where a SWAT team rushes in to deactivate a bomb. I needed to disconnect the correct cable. My ultimate goal was to end the annoying constant sound that I thought I could go into the house and ignore. I refused to let this project get the best of me. I looked under the hood a few minutes then I took matters into my own hands…I called my other son and he came and resolved the problem.

It’s safe to say the Garage Mechanic is a title that will not be included on my resume. I did what I needed to do with my car alarm situation. I attempted to resolve the problem, then I called for help. It’s okay to ask for help. Don’t feel like you have to solve every problem by yourself.

What type of unexpected DIY projects have you taken on lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment