Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, September 27, 2019

Fun Friday – What tickles your funny bone? Menopause the Musical



Have you ever laughed until your stomach hurt? What was it that tickled your funny bone? A good laugh does the body well. An article by Ulliance life advisors, listed laughter as a way to reduce anxiety. The article stated that when we laugh, “our brains produce beta-endorphins that create a sense of euphoria and is a healthy way to bring some balance to the chemistry of an anxious brain.”

Laugh it up. Grab a friend, or two, or three, and go out seeking laughter. That’s how my friends and I did it. Our Girls Night Out was a visit to our local Performing Arts Theater for the show Menopause the Musical. As I stood in the lobby of the theater before the show, I smiled as I noticed there were a lot of us old-er, HOT, women and a sprinkling of men. Several women leaned in and whispered to their friend as they read my shirt – Menopause Ain’t No Joke. A couple of people smile and said aloud, “It sure ain’t no joke.”

I made friends rather easily wearing a shirt that spoke volumes to those at the musical. One woman confessed that she’s been hot and sweaty for 12 years. I told her I’m only two years in. By wearing that menopause t-shirt I had unknowingly hung my shingle – Menopause Therapy. The therapy came in the form of sharing stories, laughing at ourselves, and knowing that we were not alone in our season.

My former college roommate was at the show with me. At one point we took turns dozing off and opening our eyes to laughter. It was a good thing that the theater was dark. We both asked, “What happened to us? When did we get to this point? It was only 9pm. We chalked it up to working a long day, but we know that was only part of the reason. In one of the scenes in the play, the character dozed off while another woman was talking to her. Menopause and aging.

At the end of the show we danced on the stage with others in the theater who were invited to do so. We felt a connection with other women, laughed a lot, and vowed to keep laughing.



When was the last time you laughed until your stomach hurt? Find something that tickles your funny bone and laugh hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment