Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, September 13, 2019

Fun Friday – Know Your Audience – Are you communicating effectively?

Photo Credit: The Center for Healthy Churches
It’s fun to look through family photos and reflect on memories. I found a couple cute photos of my son in his younger days. I posted them to Facebook with the caption, Throwback Thursday. I called my young adult son with excitement in my voice and said, “Did you see the pictures I posted on Facebook?”

He said, “Ma, I’m not on Facebook like that.”

I’ve heard it said numerous times that you have to know your audience for effective communication. This applies to any form of public speaking, writing, etc. Here’s another example of my failed communication with my son.

I called my son one evening who is away at college, when he didn’t answer his phone, I left a voicemail message. He returned my call a few minutes later and said, “I know you didn’t leave me a message (smart alek tone). My generation doesn’t check messages. I saw the missed call and called you back.  Ma, I guess you have to know your audience.”

Do you have a project coming up that involves communication? Below are questions to ask as you plan your project.
1.      Where does my audience hang out (social media – Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter)?
2.      How does my audience best receive information (email, text message, print materials)?
3.      What is the target age group I’m trying to reach with my message?

Even Grandma’s have their way of communicating. My son is away at college out of state. My mother put some money in his account for him to buy groceries. After she deposited the money, she sent him a text message.

The message said, “Jesus said, I am the bread…of life. John 6:35. Granny said stop by the bakery and pick up the dough.

Enough said.

Are you communicating effectively?



No comments:

Post a Comment