Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, April 22, 2013

National Jelly Bean Day – Fun Facts and tips for these sweet treats



Photo credit: earthday2013funphotos.com
Jelly beans were the first candy to ever be sold in bulk. In honor of this sweet treat, National Jelly Bean Day is celebrated on April 22 every ear. If you haven’t enjoyed juicy treat in a while, it’s okay to indulge a little today. Just don’t overdo it (that’s my warning).
How many fun facts do you know about the jelly bean? Here are a few you can share at your next trivia party.

·         “The earliest reference to the jelly bean is associated with Boston candy maker William Schrafft. He urged people to send his jelly beans to Union soldiers fighting in the Civil War (candyfavorites).”

·         Jelly beans became a wide-spread American treat in the early 20th Century.

·         Jelly beans were President Ronald Reagan’s favorite treat. He snacked on them to help him stop smoking his pipe.
What can you do to celebrate National Jelly Bean Day? Try one of these fun activities.

·         Create a sorting/counting game for your child – Have your child sort jelly beans by color, then count the number in each pile. For older kids, make the sorting game a race.

·         Make special drinks – give your favorite drink a twist by adding jelly beans. Drop a few jelly beans in tea, coffee or hot chocolate.

·         Make a jelly bean cake or cupcakes – bake a cake and fill the center with your favorite flavor jelly beans. Make cupcakes and decorate them with a variety of jelly beans.

·         Read a book about jelly beans – The Jelly Bean Principal is a book that’s suitable for 2nd -3rd grade reading level.

What would you add to the list of trivia or ways to celebrate National Jelly Bean Day?

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Every time I think of Reagan I think of jelly beans. My grandma loved them, too. That's one of my best memmories of her.

    Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I didn't know there was a national jelly bean day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just sent my husband out on Saturday to buy me some jelly beans! Now, I can celebrate :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, it's interesting how certain things bring back fond memories. I bet your grandma had a favorite flavor jelly bean or a certain way of eating them (-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry - I stumbled upon Jelly Bean Day while searching Google. I thought it would be fun to share the information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn - Have fun celebrating Jelly Bean Day. I bet you could even include them in one of your cookie recipes.

    ReplyDelete