Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Confessions of a mom who rarely cooks – 3 ways to motivate the non-cook


French style green beans, spaghetti, grilled veggies and Texas toast


French toast, scrambled eggs and bacon - breakfast made simple. 

Chef Boyardee has disappeared, Aunt Millie moved out and Mrs. Dash ran off with Uncle Ben. That leaves me to do the cooking. On those rare occasions when I prepare healthy, well presented meals, the kids don’t want what’s for dinner.

On a recent week night I wanted to make a quick meal so I made spaghetti, Texas toast and French cut green beans. When my 13 year old son looked at the green beans he said, “Why are the green beans broken?”

My son’s statement led me to conclude that I needed to spend more time in the kitchen…and take him with me. What do you do if you’re a “sometime” cook? Change your routine, find ways to motivate you to want to cook. Here are a few ways to get you started.

1.      Purchase something new for the kitchen – It always feels good to get something new. Purchase a new (inexpensive) kitchen gadget. Having the right tools can make cooking a fun and creative experience.

2.      Try a new recipe – If the family gets tired of eating the same meals all the time, chances are you get tired of preparing them. Click here for a Sesame Chicken recipe that I’ve tried and the family asked for it again.

3.      Don’t stress about cooking everyday – cook enough the first day to have leftovers the next day. Add a different vegetable to the meal for a new appeal the next day. Maybe your routine is to prepare a different meal every other day, see what works best for your situation.
My true confession (pause), come a little closer so you can hear it…I like to cook, shhh. However, there are just times when I’d rather do something else.

What advice would you give to someone who rarely cooks?

 

 

4 comments:

  1. As I have gotten "older" and have been married "longer" I feel I have earned the right not to pressure myself to cook every day. Subway, Zaxby's, O'Charley's, or even my local grocer's deli can do it for me sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. I love cooking, but there are days when it's the last thing I want to do. I like taking my time and trying new things, but sometimes I'm tired or don't have the energy.

    I think your second tip is really important. I try to make something different at least once every couple of weeks. I think my family appreciates the variety. I find tons of great recipes at allrecipes.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda - I like your selection eateries, quick and easy always works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana - thanks for the reminder about allrecipes.com, I've gotten a couple of recipes there before, but it's been awhile. Who am I kidding, it's been awhile since I've tried a new recipe. I'll check out the site today (-:

    ReplyDelete