Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, April 1, 2013

Celebrate National Poetry Month with Giggle Poetry



Photo Credit: motownwriters.wordpress.com
April is here, it’s time to celebrate National Poetry Month. I told my teen son it’s poetry month and we should create a fun poem. He looked at me, paused and with a shine in his eye said, “Roses are Red Violets are Blue, I’m on spring break and should be too.”

So, I ventured out on my own in search for fun stuff for poetry month. I found a website called Giggle Poetry. If you have young children (younger than teens), you might find a few fun ideas to share with them. There were poetry race tongue twisters, fill in the blank poems and Rhyme Time Riddles.

Below are samples from the website (gigglepoetry).
What would you call a top-notch detective?
A super snooper

Poetry Race – How fast can you say the tongue twister?

Betty Botter bought some butter.
"But," she said, "the butter's bitter.
If I put it in my batter,
it will make my batter bitter.
But a bit of better butter--
that would make my batter better."


So she bought a bit of butter,
better than her bitter butter.
And she put it in her batter,
and the batter was not bitter.


So 'twas better Betty Botter
bought a bit of better butter!


How good a tongue twister are you?
40 seconds and over:
Too slow. Your grandparents could say the poem faster.

30 to 40 seconds:
Not bad. You're probably a faster talker than the President.


20 to 30 seconds:
Pretty good. You've been gifted with a fast pair of lips.
15 to 20 seconds:
Excellent. You can out talk anyone around.


14 seconds or less:
You are a tongue tying champion!


If you prefer something other than riddles and tongue twisters here are four other ways to celebrate poetry month:

1.      Put a poem on the pavement – write a poem in chalk on your sidewalk.

2.      Put poetry in an unexpected place – a poem about dirty clothes can go in the laundry room.

3.      Play hangman with poetry terms for older kids.

4.      Host a “poetry slam” invite other kids or adults to read poems aloud.

For more ways to celebrate poetry month visit www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/94.

How will you celebrate National Poetry Month?

 

5 comments:

  1. What great ideas! I'm celebrating National Poetry Month, and I love the thought of getting my kids involved. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dana, hope you find something fun for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! The tongue twister was fun :D
    Great ideas to get the kids involved too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love those tongue twisters. Thanks for stopping by LJ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Website, Maintain the fantastic work. Thank you so much!
    Local Packers and Movers Ahmedabad list, Cheap Packers Movers Ahmedabad Charges, Affordable, Best Household Shifting Ahmedabad @ Packers and Movers Ahmedabad

    ReplyDelete