Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, February 1, 2013

How to quit a job

Photo credit: lifehacker.com

Have you ever worked a job that you knew you would not turn into a career? Perhaps you want to quit a current job to pursue a dream. What do you do?
Before a person enters the workforce he can attend workshops or conduct research on how to prepare for an interview. However, I never really thought about how to quit a job…until I saw a recent YouTube video from The Steve Harvey Show. Before I get to the video, I have a story to share about how I had difficulty quitting a job.

During my first year in college I worked at a grill in one of the dorms. I soon discovered it wasn’t the job for me. At the end of a shift I stopped in the office to talk to one of the managers. She was pre occupied, but I wanted to be done with the grueling task of quitting. I was not a very vocal person so this was torture for me.

I whispered in my wee voice, “I quit.”

The manager said, “ok.”
I thought maybe she didn’t hear me correctly, so I repeated my statement a little louder, “I quit, this is my last day.”

“Ok, I heard you.”
So much for my being an effective communicator at that time. Of course that was not the best way to leave a job situation, but at least I didn’t quit in the middle of a shift. It’s a good thing we learn and grow from situations. I can now tell my kids how not to leave a job.

So how do you quit a job?

·         Give advanced notice

·         Don’t leave on bad terms

·         Have a plan before you quit (have another job lined up or a means of surviving until you find another job)

 Ready for the video – How to quit a job? Here it is
 
What are your suggestions for quitting a job?

 

2 comments:

  1. It depends on the job, Angela. I think I've mostly just told the boss I was quitting, giving them a two-week notice, some even a month. I only recall writing a resignation letter once, because I couldn't face my boss. And I once quit a job over the phone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Linda, I think it depends on the job.

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete