Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, February 11, 2013

The upside down day – What do you do when nothing goes as planned?

Photo courtesy: justinscyther.blogspot.com

Have you ever had a day where everything seemed to be turned upside down? You leave early for work only to get stuck in a traffic jam. Upon arriving at work, you rush from your car (on a cold winter’s day), leaving your gloves behind. You soon discover that you have to take a group of kids outside for recess.
During story time with a group kids you cross your legs and discover that you forgot to change your socks. Displayed for all to see is a pair of lime green footies…and you’re not wearing anything close to green. That was my day in second grade last week. How can you recover from an out of control day?

Eat chocolate, and then re-group!
Take deep breaths in through the nose, out through the mouth, exhaling slowly.

If you like to write, you could channel all of your negative energy into a new writing project. When I saw the picture below, it reminded me of how writing about something can make you feel better.
 
Photo courtesy: writerswrite.com
 
What other ways can help one to feel better after a long day? My Google search led me to an article titled Having a Bad Day? The author of the article listed the following as things that worked for her in turning around a difficult day.

·         Take a mini meditation break – a five to ten minute meditation break can help you relax and start fresh with a different perspective.
·         Talk to a Good Friend – the article stressed talking to a “good” friend; someone who will listen to you feelings and empathize and not bring you down.
·         Work it Out – get fit and blow off a little steam at the same time. Even if you only have time for a short workout, every little bit helps.
Read the full article at about.com by clicking on the article title above.
On that cold winter’s day after leaving second grade, I sat in my car and jotted down a few notes about my day. I felt a little better. I texted a friend, found a Hershey’s Kiss in the glove compartment of my car, and relaxed a little more. The rest of the day was going to be ok.
What techniques do you use to recover from a day that seems to be upside down crazy?

 
 



1 comment:

  1. This is really good advice. My favorite tip is the one about eating chocolate. ;)

    Like you, when I have days like that, I usually write them out. It's amazing how much better I feel after I've expressed it all on paper.

    Have a happy Monday, friend!

    ReplyDelete