Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Triathlon Mom – running the race of parenthood


 
Have you ever competed in a triathlon or just felt like you competed in one? If you are a parent of active kids then you may have felt this way at one point in time. I have never competed in a triathlon, but because of the things I was doing the other day, my son called me a triathlon mom.

My son and I were watching a movie for our scheduled “family night” when he said I was doing a triathlon. As the movie played, my son had one request for me, “mom can you turn off the light so we can see the movie better?”
“…In a little while.” I was surrounded by a book, my writing project, and I had just answered a phone call.

“You are doing too much. You have your own triathlon going on.”
My son was right, I did have a lot going on and some days I feel like I have competed in three major events. I race to get kids off to school, cycle at the fitness center, then swim through a day of errands and chores. But you know what? I wouldn’t change our active schedule because the kids grow up so fast.

I enjoy the ride through parenthood and try to make sure there is enough down time that we don’t feel overwhelmed. Even athletes must rest. I am learning that finding balance between things that MUST be done and those that can wait, is important.
Has there been a time that you felt like a triathlon mom or dad?

 

4 comments:

  1. "Has there been a time that you felt like a triathlon mom or dad?"

    Yes, Angela. But like you, I have learned to stop and rest. Happy Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We often learn by trial and error. Happy Monday Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling. I wouldn't want to trade it for anything. But sometimes I think we need to slow down and enjoy each other more. Life is always going so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true Natalie. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete