Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, December 14, 2012

Date night - What does an elegant evening look like?

Photo credit: www.wehearit.com

When was the last time you had an exciting dinner date? Maybe it was with your spouse, a relative or just hanging out with friends. One weekend I decided to transform an ordinary dinner into a date with my husband – “eating in elegance.”
This week’s blog post of Parenting through the Alphabet looks at a situation that involves, “eating in elegance.” The dining room table was set with fine china (the good stuff that the kids wonder why we never use it). Fresh flowers and two long red candles served as a centerpiece.

Once the table was set my boys entered the room with their comments.

“Why are you doing all that, you’re already married?”

“Yeah, it’s just daddy.”

They returned to their rooms for another round of video games. Their comments provided a good argument for enjoying an elegant evening AWAY from home. So what do you do to make it an elegant evening for you and for the kids? Plan something fun for them too.

I stumbled upon a website that had suggestions for creating a “kid date night.” The concept was to create an envelope filled with fun things for kids to do. The envelope marked “Do not open until mom and dad leave,” would contain clues for a treasure hunt.
Here’s a sample clue: “Roses are Red violets are Blue, look in the place where mom keeps her shoes.” For more ides visit the datingdivas website.

While the kids are engaged in their date night, you can enjoy a date of your own.
What does eating in elegance look like in your household?

 

2 comments:

  1. For my family, eating in elegance would be eating in the living room, because it's something I rarely allow. It makes them so happy when I do. I think we'll do that tonight.

    BTW, have I told you how much I enjoy your blog?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda for the kind words, that's what keeps writers going (-:

    I enjoy your blog as well. Even when you don't see me commenting on every post, I'm still there.

    ReplyDelete