Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Confessions of a determined mom



As parents we sometimes have to have determination in order to make it through the day. What does determination look like? It can take on many shapes and forms, kind of like the Wonder Twins from the Super Friends cartoon.
Today parenting through the alphabet takes the shape of the letter ‘d’ and the form of the word “determination.” One of the things parents often fail at is taking time for themselves. I’m including myself in that stastic.

Have you ever been determined to do something?  Here’s a list of things it takes determination to complete:

1.      Getting a child to complete his homework when you want him to, not when he wants to do it.

2.      Squeezing into last winter’s wardrobe.

3.      Doing abdominal crunches when you really want to crunch on snacks.

4.      Sticking to an exercise regime when the results are slow in showing themselves.

My confession - I have tried to stick to a routine workout schedule, but it doesn’t always go smoothly. On my last visit to Planet Fitness I was determined to work hard. I approached the treadmill with my ear buds and bottled water. I set the TV channel to Good Morning America and proceeded to program the other setting on the machine.
As I started walking, I noticed a sign to the right of the settings that read, “Temporarily out of order.” The machine was moving so I ignored the sign. My assumption was that the machine was working and someone forgot to remove the sign. I even jogged a little to increase my workout.
When I was done with my workout the young lady at the desk asked, “Angie why did you get on the treadmill that said out of order?”

“I had already started walking when I noticed the sign. I figured if something was wrong with the machine I would fly off or the machine would stop.”

She just smiled and shook her head. I was determined to increase the intensity of my workout so I wasn’t focused on that little sign. I didn’t feel my safety was in jeopardy.

If I were to activate the Wonder Twin power it would be…form of a healthy mom, shape of a healthy mom who makes time for herself every now and then.
If you’re not familiar with the Wonder Twins below is a clip of them in action.

 
What are you determined to do for yourself?

                

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Angela. I needed this today.

    ...and I had completely forgotten about those WonderTwins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda for stopping by the site.

    ReplyDelete