Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, July 23, 2012

What do you remember about your child’s first big event?


12 Oaks Mall, Novi, MI

Kids experience many big events throughout their lives. Sometimes those events are more special to parents than to the child. It could be a first birthday party, first day of school or the first time your child learns to ride his bike.
On a recent trip to a local shopping mall, I was reminded of my son’s first hair cut. We passed by a barber shop called Carnival Cuts. I thought it was a cute concept so I took a picture (shown in this post).



The entire barbershop was designed around a carnival theme. The barber chairs were not  typical barber chairs, instead they were in the shape of a carousel horse or other fun things. I believe the concept behind this is to put the child at ease.  I didn’t notice any shops like this 13 years ago when my son, Donovan got his first hair cut.

Wild hair.


Donovan’s hair cut consisted of tears and shears. He cried as the barber came close to his thick floppy braids with the scissors. He wasn’t crying at the thought of loosing of his hair, he was crying because he thought it would hurt.
Donovan's first hair cut at 2 years old.

My feelings about the hair cut were bitter sweet. I would miss Donovan’s long thick hair, but I would not miss his twisting, turning and crying as I tried to tame his hair. At 15 years old, Donovan still twists, turns and whines, but it’s usually when I ask him to do chores.
There are still many first events or special events to look forward to in our household. There’s still homecoming, prom, graduation on so, and so on. And I will show up at as many events as I can with my camera.

Which one of your child’s first events was most memorable?


No comments:

Post a Comment