Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, November 19, 2021

Fitness Friday – A new kind of workout


What does your current fitness routine look like? Are you out in the evening walking your dog, up early doing stretches, or riding a Peloton bike with a virtual coach? I’ve done them all at some point along the fitness journey. It’s good to add variety to your workout, it’s like trying different seasonings on your food.

I accidentally engaged in a new workout the other day. It was an accident because I wasn’t quite prepared. The culprit of my woes was a new pair of stretchy leggings that were on sale and cute. The long adhesive removable tag attached to the leg read Large.

As I attempted to try the pants on at home, I realized the label was misleading. There should have been a warning that stated: Due to COVID and the shortage of supplies, less material was used to make this garment.

If that statement was attached somewhere, I would have known to purchase the next larger size. There were no fitting rooms at the store so I grabbed the size I would typically wear.

Here we are back at the point of me preparing for my routine workout. It was more like playing a game of Twister – left foot in, right hand reach and pull pant leg. I was thrown into this workout without a warm-up; it was an immediate high intensity training.

There was no time for deep breathing, it was rapid fire, short quick breaths. This reminded me of child birthing class where we practiced breathing using the phrase – he, he, whooo; he, he, whooo; then blew out a breath between repetitions.

I was worried the leggings wouldn’t make it over my protruding belly. I quickly discovered there was no need for worry. They made it over my knees and refused to stretch any further.

The leggings gripped my legs like an exercise band. I left them there and began doing squats, standing donkey kicks, and other fitness moves I learned over the years. After a few minutes of intense fighting with the pants, I gave up and began the cool down.

In a seated position on the floor, my breathing became slower and more deliberate. I removed the leggings one leg at a time, relaxed my body, then threw the pants across the room. I’d had enough of my new workout.

Don’t give up on your fitness journey. When you hit a speed bump, go over it, and keep moving.

What type of fitness mishaps have you experienced? 

No comments:

Post a Comment