Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, September 27, 2021

Monday Musings – Travel Chronicles – The Lighter Side of Flying During a Pandemic

 


The sky was a mix of light and dark shades of Orange. From 10,000 feet in the air, I sat in the middle seat of the aircraft and gazed past my seatmate to soak in the view. The sunrise was calming, no turbulence in the air, but my ears were doing that popping thing.


The higher we went into the air, the more my ears ached. My grandmother used to say, “Chew a piece of gum or pretend you’re swallowing something. It helps that feeling pass.” I chewed, one stick of gum after another like a chain smoker. I took the gum out of my mouth and did a few rounds of fake swallowing. Grandma’s methods didn’t work this time.

In order to take my mind off the discomfort of my ears and face muscles, I reflected on observations of the flight. The flight attendants did a good job of working together. One person was on the intercom in the background giving instructions while the other two stood in the aisle and demonstrated through hand motions. It was like a form of sign language.

Due to the face that our world is still experiencing pandemic, passengers were told that face masks must be worn at all times during the flight, except to eat or drink. “When your drink is down, your mask is up.” The intercom voice also told us, “Do not remove your mask to place your drink order.”

We learned more sign language as the flight attendant team announced and demonstrated the rules of the flight. “As your flight attendant comes around, hold up 1 finger for Coke, 2 for Diet Coke, 3 for 7-Up, and 4 for water.” Asking for coffee with cream and sugar was a little complicated, so when the attendant came around I held up four fingers.

Sipping my water, I pulled a book from my purse, relaxed my shoulders, and enjoyed the rest of the flight. However, this is not the end of my story. On the flight home, a different team of flight attendants provided instruction for a comfortable and joyful flight.

The flight attendant put a different spin on announcing the safety rules of the flight. He said, “If you are traveling with kids, or with someone acting like a kid…put your oxygen mask on first, then assist them.”

The next instruction announced was, “If our flight should happen to turn into a cruise, put the floatation vest around your neck and pull the cord.” Due to the creative antics of the flight attendants, I will always remember the safety rules of the flight.

My entertaining flights had me pondering the questions, does someone write the material for the flight attendants? Is a comedic background on the list of skills, knowledge, and other duties, on the job description? I don’t know the answers to those questions, but I am grateful for the humor. Flying during a pandemic can stir anxiety and apprehensive feelings…Laughter HELPS.

Thank you Southwest Airlines. I was not paid for this mention of Southwest.

When have you found humor during your travels?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment