Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, July 19, 2021

Muffins with Mom – Creative ways to parent young adults

 


What is your parenting style? How do you get your message across in a manner that your child will understand? As my children have grown into young adulthood, our methods of getting our point across have changed. They tend to use sarcasm, and I give it right back to them.

My sons have learned many life skills; they cook, clean, and do laundry. However, I may need to give them an aptitude test to determine whether they are beginners, intermediate, or proficient. Let me show you what I mean.

Laundry

My son is very capable of washing his own clothes. He sorts, selects the load size and water temperature. It’s when he adds the laundry detergent that things go haywire. I prepared to lift the heavy liquid detergent container to wash my load of clothes. I almost snatched my arm off because the container was so light.

My son yelled from a different room, “Ma, can you put my clothes in the dryer?”

“Sure. Can you use less than a gallon of laundry detergent n your next load?”

Cooking



My son loves breakfast foods and has mastered pancakes with crispy edges, cooked on the griddle, which is our family signature. Ask him to prepare a dinner and sighs of exasperation flow from his mouth, “Oookay. Let’s make tacos, you cook the meant and I’ll do the rest.”

Translation – I cook most of the meal and he’s does the easy things, like taking the shredded cheese from the fridge.

After three years of college, countless roommates, and calls home asking, “how long do you cook…(fill in the blank)?” My son found success. He snapped a picture of one of his successful meals and texted it to me. The message read, “I bet you wish you were here.”

I smiled at his accomplishment, but texted, “No, I wish you were here, to cut the grass for me.”

Once our sarcasm was reigned in, I complimented my son on the presentation of his dish. I’m no chef, and neither is he, but I like my food to look appetizing on the plate.



Cleaning

When there is cleaning to be done, my sons are never short on excuses. Some of the excuses have included:

“I have to run an errand; I’ll do it as soon as I get back.”

“Can I do it after I finish my homework?” (What do you say to that one?).

My sons are pretty clever when it comes to providing snappy responses. I wouldn’t want to disappoint them so I have a few canned responses for questions they may ask me like, “What’s for dinner?”

“I’m not hungry, I ate yesterday, or “I’m fasting today.”

I’ve found three things helpful when parenting young adults:

1.      Allow them to express themselves – you already know this, but our children have their own opinions.

2.      Listen more than you talk – I have learned to listen without forming an opinion. My sons are more willing to share when I listen before giving my opinion. Realistically, they don’t tell me everything, but they share a few things.

3.      Schedule time to do fun things together – this doesn’t have to be anything big but should be something that your family finds fun. If you want a suggestion – it’s summertime, get outside, go to a beach, a lake, play cornhole, or host a barbecue.

Although my family playfully uses sarcasm, they know this is not meant to be offensive. As you parent your young adult, do it with love, and create lasting memories. How is your parenting style working?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment