Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, July 23, 2021

Fun Friday – National Park & Recreation Month – Making Fitness Fun

 

Reflections of a memory

“Let’s go swimming today, I want to get in the water.” My mom likes the water, but I didn’t know what she had in store for me when she made that statement. The month of July is celebrated as National Parks & Recreation Month, being active is what it’s all about.

Swimming wasn’t on my list of Saturday morning activities, but it was better than the list of chores I scheduled for myself. Mom said swimming, but we were actually headed to a water aerobics class. I grabbed a two-piece swimsuit that I hadn’t seen the light of day in two years. I actually had to pry it from the back of a drawer.

No need to try on the swimsuit, it should still fit…right? The bottom was like a short tennis skirt, the top was bright pink with paisley designs and crisscross straps. In the locker room as I pulled the skirt over my stomachs (muffin tops and rolls), I knew I was in trouble. After a little maneuvering I got everything tucked away.

Before I left the locker room I looked in the mirror and smiled as I thought, this was sexy 11 pounds ago.

Mom diverted my attention by starting a conversation. “I hope the water is warm, last time it was only 75 or 80 degrees.”

“How hot do you want it?”

“Hmmm, about 104.”

“That’s a fever.”

Finally in the water, I bounced, jiggled, and splashed. The woman next to me said, “I’m not in your space am I?”

“No, as long as you’re not worried about me injuring you with splashing and flailing, I’m fine.” She became my new friend (Laura). As we chatted, I told Laura I was there with my mom. She said, “that was nice of you to bring your mom.”

“No no, mom brought me.”

We kicked, twisted, and bounced some more. Finally, the class mom told me was 40 minutes, ended after an hour. I said, “let’s go to lunch.” It was back to the locker room for the final round of exercise – getting out of the wet swimsuit. It was like a deep-sea diver getting out of a thick wetsuit. Bonus workout.

 

“Let’s go swimming” turned into an all-day outing with mom. It was a fun day that included fitness and laughing. Fitness can be whatever you make it. Do something that you enjoy, and it doesn’t feel like a workout. It’s National Park & Recreation Month, get out and get active.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment